Wing Tanks and a parts aircraft

4-3-2018 – 3 hours

It has been nearly a month since I worked on the RV6.  That’s for a variety of reasons.  It was a good stopping place, I went on Spring Break and went traveling with the family, I had several intensive issues to take care of at work, and I also had to catch up with grading and preparing papers to keep the students busy.  Of course, there was also the money thing.

Next on the list is fuel tanks.  Unfortunately, some of the parts are missing or were never present since I don’t have the finishing kit.  KW had finished most of the drilling and dimpling of the right wing tank, but none of the finishing or mounting.  The tank is integral to the wing, and needs to be sealed.  I need sealant, and no way that I know of can get around buying the stuff.  I’m going to have to bite the bullet and buy a can of sealant.

I went to the Van’s web site, and a quart kit costs $41.  That isn’t too bad.  If I do it carefully, this should do both tanks.  However, there is no point buying the stuff in advance, as the shelf life is a meager 4 months.  This means I need all the parts  ready to install before I buy it.  I made a parts list, and this is what I need.  (Note that I added a few small parts that would not need to be purchased now, including a new O-ring and the Quick drains).

If you’ve followed so far, you know that $188 isn’t what I want to spend.  Is there a cheaper way?  I think so.  I bought a wrecked badly wrecked RV7, and will be scavenging parts off of it soon.  I’ll make a post about that as soon as the transaction is complete.  I hope to salvage enough salable parts off of it to make it free, but even if that doesn’t work, I can nearly cover what I paid for the plane by taking the scrap to recycling.

Until then, I’ll concentrate on prepping the tanks.  Here is the right one, removed from the wing.

Clecoing the tank together was a challenge, as many of the parts were loose and out of order.  It took some time, but all the parts were found for this tank, and there proper locations were identified.

Here is the plan for the tank.  Lots of consulting this sheet today.

My first chance to try the free #8 screw dimple dies I got in my last transaction.

Here is a #8 screw sitting in the dimple.

Lots of nut plates to attach.  I like to partially thread the nutplate on a screw, and use that to hold the nutplate while I flush rivet the nutplate in place with little bitty 3-3 rivets.  BTW, KW had already drilled and coutersunk for nutplates on the right wing, so this was pretty rapid and easy.

First time looking in this part of the wing.  Note the large number of ribs in the wing walk area.

And here is the 406A and 406B fuel cap and neck.  Still have more nutplates to mount, and I have to figure out the best way to countersink for my #8 screws that require countersinking instead of dimpling.

Something funny happened while I was working with the #8 screw dimple dies.  One of my students grabbed the dimpler while I wasn’t watching, and tried to dimple for #4 rivets.  His buddies teased him pretty hard – but it was funny.  I guess there is nothing like learning the hard way that there are several sizes of dimple dies, and you need to make sure you have the correct one.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *